January 9, 2010

WAYS TO SAVE

Ever since posting my daily spending on the blog, I've encountered some pretty great ways to save money. Here are some of my tips:
  1. STAY AT HOME
    I know this is easier said than done--especially if you work, but staying at home on the weekend is the easiest way to save money. If you're like me and have other people who do or can do the grocery shopping for you, then I say go for it! The only downside is that you end up having a huge list of errands that you eventually have to run. My list involves the bank, picking up meds, picking up cat litter, picking up specific on-sale groceries (only if I'll be in the area), etc.
  2. PACK YOUR MEALS
    This also seems like a no-brainer but when I think about how much money I was spending on food on an-almost daily basis, it's kind of appalling. I was spending anywhere from $6.50 to $13 on lunch/dinner a day and while I didn't order food everyday while at work, that amount adds up. Even if that's just twice a week, that's at least $14 a week or $52 that could be saved a month!
  3. THINK ABOUT THE BIG PICTURE
    It's always good to have a savings goal. My goal? Moving out of the family house and into a place with Sean. When I see something I want to buy (like say, a pair of bronze metallic Puma shoes on sale for $89), I think to myself...do I want these more than I want to move in with Sean...and the answer is always no. So thinking about the bigger picture, the goal you have in mind (whether it be moving out or a trip somewhere or maybe saving up for a puppy), will keep your saving on track.
  4. DO NOT WINDOW SHOP
    Don't tempt yourself by window shopping. While I did a few days ago browsing the Eaton's Centre and parts of Yonge/Bloor, that doesn't work for everyone. If you know that shoes are your temptation (mine usually is), don't tempt yourself by walking by Bloor St. with Davids and Capezio staring you down with their post-Christmas sales.
  5. TELL SOMEONE ABOUT YOUR DEBT
    If you're saving to work off debt, tell someone about it. It might be embarrassing (it was for me), it helps to have someone support you. I chose to tell Sean. It helped having Sean work out a budget with me because I certainly had no clue how to go about one. It also really helped knowing that my ability to be debt-free was closer than I had first thought.
  6. CUT UP OR FREEZE YOUR CREDIT CARDS
    If you live off your credit card(s), freeze them (literally). Put them into a ziploc bag and fill that with water and stick it in the freezer. Or better yet, cut them up. Make yourself completely incapable of being able to use it until you are debt free. If you choose to freeze your cards, having to defrost them will give you time to think about whether you really want that purchase or whether you are just going through something else, which brings us to...
  7. WHY DO YOU SHOP?
    Are you a retail therapy shopper? Do you shop after a crappy day at work? Does the purchase of a new pair of shoes or a new dress make you feel like you're on top of the world? If you're answer is "yes," you're probably in a bit of trouble. That was definitely me. That was definitely why I shopped a lot.
I hope some of those tips help you out. Happy saving :)

No comments: