March 13, 2010

VEGAN FRIDAY FAIL

I woke up on Friday morning and with no organic milk for my buckwheat cereal, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to not only try out the vanilla Almond Breeze sitting in my fridge but also to give a day of vegan eating a try.

So the morning started out with a bowl of vanilla Almond Breeze and buckwheat cereal:Verdict: pretty good. It was sweet though. I think that next time I would buy the unsweetened vanilla version and add in some sliced bananas. Good way to start the vegan day!

Then lunch time rolls around and because I had prepared lunch the previous night, I had nothing to worry about in the morning. So say hello to my vegan-friendly baked potato with olive oil, salt and pepper:Along with a vegan-friendly pear and Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut granola bar:And my vegan-friendly salad:Oh, what's that, eggs are not vegan-friendly? Yeah, tell me about it. A thought creeped into my head while I was enjoying what I thought was a vegan-friendly salad "wow, it's so easy to follow vegan diet" because I had completely forgotten that eggs are NOT vegan--duh!!! Anyway, the salad consisted of spring mix, fried plantain and three hard-boiled eggs. Yep, three. Oi. Clearly this salad was full of vegan failure.

Sean picked me up after work and we headed to P-Mall to get some soft-serve frozen yogurt made by us. Yeah, that's right...froyo a la Berryline, Pinkberry, Red Mango is finally here in Markham and it's name is Yutopia! Sean and I tried to access this place earlier this week but it was closed and so we decided to give it another go yesterday evening. Alas, it was closed--again! But all the toppings were out so maybe the person was on a break? Sean decided to get some curry fish balls in the meantime and by the time we were back at Yutopia, the shop was back open! Actually, the guy was opening the doors as we were approaching and joked about how we were waiting but whatevs.

After a read of the descriptions of different froyo, I decided to go with taro and original tart and here is my creation:Topped with strawberries, blueberries, pineapple and red bean.

Here is Sean's original tart froyo topped with strawberries, pineapple, kiwi and mochi (the looks of which skivved me out so I passed on it but then thought I should have gotten some):So we walked around Pacific Mall while enjoying our frozen yogurt but I know noticed a very big difference between Yutopia's froyo and the Pinkberry froyo Sean and I got to try while in NYC back in July: the froze yogurt itself. Yutopia's is more water-based. It's not as creamy as Pinkberry's and melted pretty quickly. It happened with the taro and original flavours so I know it wasn't isolated to just one flavour. To be honest, I wasn't really happy. I probably wouldn't go back to Yutopia.

Now the next froyo place to check out is Blushberry but since that's all the way in Toronto, it's probably going to be a while before I check it out. Hopefully the froyo is better than Yutopia's though :(

Dinner for the evening was Indian food with no images. I had mattar paneer with a naan and veggie biryani while Sean had chicken biryani. We both ended up with lots of leftovers to be eaten later. Mmm...leftover Indian food. So good!

Oh and I've decided to leave you with this imagery of gross, while walking through the aisles of P-Mall, which I normally detest (though recently I've seen more and more cosmetics shops though one was selling MAC cosmetics at discounted prices??!), Sean and I came across this beauty and we had to take a pic:A total WTF moment! Can someone please translate the Chinese writing at the top because we have no idea what the heck one would do with lamb placenta? Just saying that in my head makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit.

===

And with Friday's vegan failure recap done, I'm now looking out the window at what I would only describe as grey and hella windy. The wind woke me up before 9am this morning. Plans to go downtown have now been nixed for today and put on hold for tomorrow. It's not raining right now but I'm not in the mood for a trek downtown and hopefully the rain doesn't start until Monday. Revised plans for today now include the laundry and baking.

No comments: