March 7, 2010

REVIEW: KASHI DARK CHOCOLATE COCONUT

Kashi and I have a love-hate relationship. I was ecstatic when the store I used to work at started carrying Kashi products. We carried their granola bars (Peanut Peanut Butter, Seven Whole Grains and Almonds and Cherry Dark Chocolate) and cereals (a whole bunch I can't remember). I loved the idea of

And so this post brings you a review of Kashi's Dark Choconut, er, Chocolate Coconut granola bars. It bills itself as a "fruit and grain" granola bar. I was excited to see the coconut flakes on top of the bar and honestly, that's pretty much what sold me. Coconut will always have a place in my heart. Damn the following photo though:Seriously, ugh! At least you'll be giving your neck a workout while looking at the above photo.

The ingredient list looks decent, if not a little long:It starts off with their grain blend then includes dates, dark chocolate, brown rice syrup and so on. A short list of soy is just what I like since soy in any form tends to give my stomach the heebie-geebies (aka IBS).

Here's the nutritionals in case you're interested:Don't mind the washed out bit because those amounts are all zero. Hey, at least you get some iron! So yeah, 3.5g of fat and 50mg of sodium...not too bad. But what does it taste like? Well, let's get to that, shall we?

Here's the bar:Do you like Hurley in the background? That's me catching up with season 5. I know, I know...I'm SO behind! Sean's now beating me; he caught up to me all the way from season two.

Here's the bar unwrapped:What happened to all the walnuts you ask? Well, I don't even care because I don't like walnuts but yeah, that photo on the box is quite deceiving.

To preface my review a little bit, I don't eat granola bars all that often; I actually quite detest them. Even when I was a kid I wasn't a huge fan except for the Chewy bars Rocky Road flavour but now I find them incredibly sweet and can't even take a bite out of one without causing searing pain to my tooth.

Anyway, this bar is actually really good. The chocolate flavour is hardly noticeable, which is great because we must all know by now that I'm not a huge choco fan. It tastes predominantly of dates which is a-ok in my books and the coconut, well you can't really taste it, so it could go. Then again, my throat is on the fritz (AGAIN!) so this review may be a little skewed because my throat isn't having a good time of things.

I would totally buy these again. I'm actually contemplating eating another bar but considering how much other food I just ate, I really shouldn't. Self-restraint dammit!

Cost: $3.99
Purchased at: Sobey's
Purchased again: Definitely

No comments: