May 30, 2010

OATMEAL STRAWBERRY MUFFINS

Since my last batch of muffins from The Single Dish were such a huge hit, I decided to make another batch of muffins appearing on her website. Her newest creation: oatmeal strawberry muffins. I had all the ingredients on hand to make these muffins and knowing that they contained ground flax seeds, oatmeal and whole wheat flour...well, gosh darn it, count me in!

You can check out The Single Dish for step-by-step instructions since I know you just came here to ogle my muffin photos anyway. She has really awesome step-by-step photos too. I love them because if you're not sure if something is supposed to look a certain way as you're making it, you can refer to her photos to see if you're doing it right.

I made a couple of substitutions while making the oatmeal strawberry muffins. First of all, I used all vegetable oil for the fats in this recipe instead of the 1 tablespoon of veg. oil and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. I did this simply because I didn't feel like melting butter. The other change I made was very minor but I used turbinado sugar for the sugar and cinnamon topping. It made for a crunchy topping as opposed to just using regular white sugar and cinnamon which I previously used for my strawberry cinnamon muffins.

Here are my dozen straight outta the oven:And here are some pics from the next morning when I was able to shoot with some natural light:My mom bought me a cake stand. I like it. I also like this off-kilter photo:And lastly, do you want one:
Based on my strawberry cinnamon muffins, I decided to bake these muffins using muffin liners coated with cooking spray. Doing so makes the muffins portable and the cooking spray aids in the removal of the liner. As for the taste, well they're healthy but you can't really tell. The oats give it a really nice texture and along with the ground flax seed, you end up satiated longer. I really like the addition of the fresh strawberries but wasn't really crazy about the texture once baked. I might try these with frozen strawberries next time around. I still like them though. I doubt there's going to be very many left in a couple days' time.

1 comment:

RudePrincess said...

Dude! These totally look better than the ones we made at my place. Clearly you are a better baker than me. You deserve your own show, even if I don't. However, the muffins we made taste pretty damn good so I really don't care what they look like.

I made some banana coconut oat drops today. I had a hankering for coconut. Only five ingredients: mashed bananas, oats, coconut, oil and vanilla. sounds pretty damn healthy eh?! I WW point a drop. Mind you, they aren't very big or anything, but satisfying nonetheless.