May 8, 2010

FOOD RECAP!

So I'm not totally behind...less than a week and that's good enough for me. It's Saturday morning and in half an hour it's gone from sunny to grey, windy and the rain is coming down hard. Not cool! It's a repeat of last night, which despite the glorious event of an interview and book signing with Daniel Clowes (famed underground comic writer), it was a miserable night. A t-shirt and grey hoodie do not make for proper rain clothing, just an FYI.

Anyway, let's do a quickie recap because there's a bunch of other things I want to do today including laundry, quality cat time, exercise, trip to Michael's, sugar flowering making and more. It's going to be a busy Saturday--I hope so anyway.

3rd...Monday
Breakfast was my second green monster. I varied my amounts a little bit, this time using one cup of unsweetened Almond Breeze, one banana, about one cup of spinach, two ice cubes and a tiny squeeze of honey. This was definitely the right "recipe." The bananas in our house were still not ripe enough at this point so the honey was kind of necessary.
Lunch was stellar--leftover fresh pasta with browned butter and sage and wild fiddleheads sauteed in garlic and olive oil:with leftover Bortchanfoltchep (leek and oatmeal) soup that Sean made on Saturday:along with strawberries and sadly, the last of the fresh figs (must get more):

===

4th...Tuesday
Honey-free green monster:Excuse the crappy iPhone pics. I couldn't find my camera for most of the day. Second breakfast was oatmeal with chia, flax, chocolate, strawberries, apple and pear:Plus a Kozy Shack tapioca pudding:
Unfortunately these little snack containers are still a little too big for one snack for me. I can only eat about half before I get full of them, but since I was at work I had to scarf the whole thing down since I didn't want to store the rest in the communal fridge.
Lunch was several hours later and I was quite looking forward to it: asparagus risotto!With crispy prosciutto on top! So good. I wish I had more but luckily I had some watermelon, cantaloupe and halloumi salad:along with more fruits:
So yeah, lunch was pretty damn filling but worth it. Dinner was also spectacular. I wanted the great eats from the weekend to continue so I cooked up the rest of the fiddleheads (in olive oil and garlic salt since we're out of fresh garlic) and then used the rest of the fresh pasta with my dad's sliced beef and tomato sauce:Freakin' delicious!!!
===

5th...Wednesday--Cinco de Mayo!
It was a really tiresome
Lunch featured leftovers from last night's dinner: pasta and fiddleheads:

along with leftover watermelon, cantaloupe and halloumi salad:and strawberries, cantaloupe and other fruits at the bottom:
Sean picked me up after a VERY tiresome day at work and he showed me his newly pickled items. First up was pickled beets, which were super vinegary (I could manage a small bite) and then his pickled herring (which was still in the pickling stage so no taste yet):

While Sean was whipping up a semi-quick Jerusalem artichoke (also known as sunchokes) recipe featuring sunchoked, garlic and bayleaves, I was snacking on a slice of Irish soda bread with butter and blueberry jam:Shortly afterwards, the sunchokes were done:Then we made buttermilk pancakes! Unfortunately halving the recipe made for a really thick batter but because we were out of buttermilk, I suggested adding more whole milk. Here are some pancakes in the eating stages:And then I suggested we add some strawberries:And here we are while we cooked the pancakes:

Sean is more pleasant looking than I am but I blame the massive migraine and three different types of medication I was on. Here's take #2 for me:
There's some fake enthusiasm for ya!
===

6th...Thursday
Another satisfying vegan green monster for first breakfast:
Right after coming home from work I wanted something to east and I wanted it NOW! I opted for a small ramekin of homemade (read: super rich) vanilla bean ice cream with a fat, juicy strawberry: Totally satisfying! As a result though, I didn't end up eating dinner until a few hours later. I wasn't feeling inspired to cook anything and wasn't really hungry. Actually, what I really wanted was a giant salad but we didn't have any spring mix in the fridge. After foraging in the fridge* I remember the mini eggplants I had bought on the weekend and decided to make my stuffed eggplants.

I cut the eggplants in half and scooped out the insides. I then diced the eggplant "innards" and sauteed them with a diced tomato, a handful of spinach, some mushrooms, 2/3 of a cup of black beans and some corn. I can't remember how much corn I put in because I forgot to measure but it was probably close to 2/3 of a cup as well. I seasoned with garlic salt and thyme and then stuffed everything back into the six mini eggplants halves. I baked them at 350F for 30 minutes and then topped the eggplant with parmesan cheese and stuck it back into the oven for another 10 minutes. While the eggplants were getting all happy in the oven, I was getting hungry and decided to snack on the remaining stuffing. I toasted a D'Italiano Tuscan Herb sandwich thin and topped it off with the remaining stuffing and ate it like a taco:After 40 minutes in the oven, my mini stuffed eggplants were finally ready. I served myself two. I was going to make a salad on the side but we didn't have any salad. Oh well...Yummy! Faced stuff, belly satisfied!
===

7th...Friday
I've decided to call Fridays "No Photo Fridays." At least for this Friday. It kind of just ended up being a photo-less Friday.
===

All caught up! I've spent most of the afternoon catching up on The Cupcake Girls, talking to Sean, quality time with sleepy cats, doing some laundry then making a quick trip to Michael's for wire for my future sugar flowers and to Longo's for groceries with my dad. I picked up whole wheat pancake mix (wahoo, Pancake Truffler, here I come), as well as dulce de leche (for Patricia's cupcakes), heavy cream for future lavender ice cream and

I'm now just having a cup of tea with a couple Vanilla Bean Latte cookies from Peak Freens' Lifestyle line:Plans for the evening include more laundry and sugar flowers--yeah!

Tell me...how are you spending this crummy Saturday?

No comments: