This evening in particular, I had all the ingredients (well, most of them), necessary to make Martha Stewart's Avocado-Cucumber Soup. Of course, since Martha's soup included shrimp (to which I am allergic), I made a few adaptations, but look at the outcome:
I think it was well worth it, don't you?
Dom's Avocado Cucumber Soup (serves 2)
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
- 3/4 of an English cucumber
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 Tbsp lime juice (this is a lot but I REALLY like lime)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 green onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ice water
- 1/4 tsp - salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp - corn kernels (optional, for garnish)
- Divide the cucumber in thirds and coarsely chop two-thirds. Finely dice the remaining third and set aside.
- Combine coarsely chopped cucumber, avocado, yogurt, lime juice, green onion, ice water, salt and pepper in your blender or food processor of choice. (Note: I chose the Magic Bullet. It's also the only blender/food processor I have.)
- Taste. Season some more if necessary.
- To serve: Ladle soup into two separate bowls. Sprinkle corn kernels and reserved diced cucumber on top. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, if desired and crack over some fresh pepper.