July 22, 2010

FOOD RECAP

It's been a week since the last food recap but certainly not since the last post--thank goodness! Can you believe that the past few posts have all featured recipes--what a miracle! Anyway, let's get down to business!

15th...Thursday
I had that awesome avocado-cucumber soup I blogged about separately. It truly was awesome. Sadly I have not had the opportunity to re-create since then because avocados do not feature prominently in my household. For shame! That will definitely change when Sean and I move in together. Pears and apples will go the way of the Dodo bird to make room for avocados.
===
16th...Friday
I already blogged about this lunch but here's the reasoning behind it. I wanted to keep lunch super healthy because I knew I would hanging out with Sean after work and hanging out with Sean *typically* involves unhealthy eating. Sean's not unhealthy per se, it's just that his fridge is not always stocked (at all or with foods that I can eat, read: yogurt that contains migraine-inducing ingredients, caffeine-free, diet Coke, etc) so I made a conscious effort to keep one meal super healthy. As a result, lunch was the following, leftover avocado-cucumber soup:Red kidney beans:Fruit:Sean and I grabbed burgers at Johnny's Burger and then rushed to the theatre to watch Inception. It is definitely worth the current 9.3 rating on IMDB. Seriously. I'm sorry to say that I didn't have high hopes for this movie. I kept seeing a terrible commercial for it on TV (the practically 30-second spot with 3 phrases featuring Leo and Ellen was hardly a draw-in) but Sean was all ga-ga about it when he found out what the movie was all about and we just HAD to see it opening night. We grabbed popcorn and Coke and grabbed our seats (the theatre was packed!) and 2.5 hours later, I was a happy camper! That movie was awesome! I totally want to see it again.
===
17th...Saturday
There was a lot of bread eaten on Saturday. If you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll know that's not the norm. Saturday just ended up being one of those "bready" kind of days. It all started with a grilled portobello mushroom and zucchini "sandwich." That's a huge bun, I know. I ended up having to smush the bun down with my hand before actually eating it. It was so good! It's been ages since I've had bread! I opted to wash my bread down with watermelon lime juice:Refreshing, ain't it?Well if would be if you could drink from your computer screen. Trust me, it was. I blended about 2 cups of ripe watermelon, a whole lotta lime (I'm kind of obsessed with lime) and some ice cubes together to make it really cold. Delish!

Then a couple hours later I thought it was pertinent to consume more bread:So I had breakfast after lunch. Oops! Half a bread bun with an egg with salt and pepper. Good but I'm really not a fan of pepper. I try to like it but I just don't. Later in the afternoon I had me some fresh apricots from our very own apricot tree! Check it out:
And of course, what Saturday wouldn't be complete without blackberries from our very own blackberries bushes:That's just blackberry and look at how huge it is! The blackberries are thriving this year and they're gigantic. They're so good. Sean and I already went blackberry picking once. I'm going about once every couple of days now. I think soon I'm going to have to go every day.
===
18th...Sunday
Unfortunately all I've got from Sunday are two photos. Exhibit A: watermelon chunks for a hot summer day:Exhibit B: apricots from the backyard and blueberries:I'm certain that more food was consumed, I just can't remember what any of it was. Oops!
===
19th...Monday
Breakfast on Monday was half a blueberry banana muffin and one raspberry banana muffin:The half was actually leftover from the night before (ha! there's another thing I ate on Sunday). Lunch was a case of "that looks gross but tastes good." I made whole wheat linguine with beef sausage cooked in blueberries and maple syrup. Along with that I have zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms and some onion:Sides included cucumber slices and bleached carrot sticks:Fruits included cherries and strawberries:It wasn't too busy at work but I was famished by the time I got home so I quickly made a snack while I got dinner ready. I had half a whole grain sandwich thin with almond butter and sliced strawberries:Dinner was ready an hour later and I had a luxurious meal to enjoy:Roasted organic chicken leg and thigh with roast potatoes and broccoli. I ended up seasoning the chicken with extra virgin olive oil and garlic salt. I seasoned the potatoes with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and lots of dried thyme. It was delicious!! After dinner I had a couple slices of watermelon:And then went blackberry pickin' in the backyard:

===
20th...Tuesday
Home from work with a very severe migraine. No photos. At all.
===
21st...Wednesday
Sometimes recipes seem like a good idea. Case in point: panzanella salad. Bread in a salad? Awesome. Except that I don't really like bread or tomatoes, which typically feature prominently in panzanella salads. What was a girl to do? Improvise? Why of course! So here I present to you, Dominique's Panzanella Flop:Canellini beans, cucumber, sliced black olives and baked bread chunks. Um yeah, not so good. In theory it was a good idea but the bread were pretty much huge croutons, which were awesome but the black olives (from a can) gave me a migraine or so I think. I had actually made this meal on Monday evening and had a massive migraine the next day. I couldn't even get out of bed. I'm not 100% sure if it was the olives but I wasn't willing to eat this salad again so I ate the croutons and most of the cucumber and that was it. Thank goodness for the following: Roasted potatoes that I had made the night before! Whew, nothing like a bunch of carbs to save the day. Along with that I had some backyard fruit, apricots and blackberries:===
22nd...Thursday
First breakfast on Thursday was...interesting. Hahaha, just kidding. It was delicious! Two slices of raisin bread with a smashed apricot on top. Check it out:Who needs jam when your apricots are so ripe and sweet already? Second breakfast was just as good and featuring more apricots:Instant oats with Lindt Sea Salt, apricots and blackberries. Delicious! That bowl is my favourite way to eat my oats. For some reason it tricks my brain into actually finishing off my oatmeal. Lunch featured even more apricots. First off, I had dad's leftovers: basmati with beef curry:
There's a piece of beef in there somewhere. Mostly it's chayote with peas and carrots. Fruits: backyard blackberries and apricots:
And a homemade quinoa and oats power bar:
I made these from fANNEtastic food's recipe for Cranberry Quinoa Peanut Butter Power Bars. I highly adapted the recipe by using almond butter instead of PB and omitting the cranberries for dried cherries as well as forgetting the flaxseed and cinnamon and adding some organic toasted shredded coconut.
Dinner for the day was dad's beef and tomato sauce but I served mine with elbow macaroni:And that's it--for now!

No comments: