September 29, 2009

GOODBYE SUMMER

A big bowl of green goodness. It's my last attempt at preserving the great flavours of summer. A bowl of tagliatelle, spinach and asparagus puree, lemon zest and parmesan. It was also my first attempt at a recipe from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking, which I have been a fan of for ages but have only recently acquired, thanks to Sean.
It was just what I needed to say goodbye to summer and usher in the fall. The great thing is that this recipe made a lot of puree and I was only cooking for one (as I usually do), I have a whole jar of leftover puree to use in the future.So perhaps I can prolong the freshness of summer into the fall season. And for those of you with an extremely keen eye, you may remember this lid as the top of the jar of Goober, a peanut-butter-and-jelly-in-one sort of creation found only in the States. (I picked up a couple of jars at a grocery store while vacationing in Cape Cod with Sean.)

Tonight's dinner was this...Brown rice with a stir-fry of pork, mushrooms, cucumber, red peppers and celery.

And for dessert, would I dare to throw out a couple of overripe bananas? Heck no! I pop those yellow and brown things into the freezer and an hour later, ta-da...
Banana soft serve.

And that's all for today's eats! (Hopefully...it's actually kind of early!)

No comments: