September 8, 2009

OH FOOD...WHY DO I LOVE THEE SO?

Well, after a couple of weeks of self-indulging (Purdy's chocolates, organic popcorn, a trip to McDonalds and take-out), I find myself heavier than I'd like to be for an upcoming wedding. It's not my wedding or even a wedding of my best friend, so I shouldn't really care except that I bought a dress about a month ago and back then, it was a good fit. It wasn't a perfect fit. I knew I'd have to lose a few pounds in order to fit into it perfectly but instead of losing the weight, I seemed to have packed it on. Now the wedding is this Saturday and I'm going to try my darndest to fit into that damn dress.

This week is going to involve exercise and foods from home. Whole grains and veggies and fruits and hopefully, no salads. No boring salads anyway. I'm actually really excited about today's lunch which is loosely based on a recipe from Donna Hay's No Time To Cook. I'm making a mint and avocado couscous salad but because I have none of those ingredients on hand, I substituted with bulgur wheat, celery, green onion and pecans. So pretty much the only thing I stuck to was the dressing. Actually, I even subbed the honey for agave nectar so pretty much my recipe is nothing like Donna Hay's. Oh well, I tried. I'll call it inspiration instead.
And next to my bulgur wheat salad I've got peaches and blackberries. Blackberries from the garden! This is actually my second picking and I ate a few of those. I completely forgot about our blackberry bush. I even forgot we had two! My mom had to remind me to check the second bush just a couple of feet away from the first, hahaha. I wish we had taken better care of our blackberry bushes this season. I'm sure that if we had, both bushes would be brimming with ripe, juicy blackberries. Thank goodness I've stopped myself from buying a pint for $4 at the store though.

Anyhoo, moving along...And lo and behold, what is this?? Six Grains strawberry yogurt from Liberte? What the F?! Well, what the F indeed as I myself, had no clue what I was in store for. I mean, who makes yogurt with buckwheat, rice, barley, wheat, rye and oats? Well, Liberte of course. I decided to give this Six Grains yogurt a try, beginning with the strawberry flavour. The other only option was peach and we all know how adamantly against peach I am when it's not in its fresh, with-the-pit-inside state.

I had a quick lick of the yogurt and uh...it's...different. There really are grains in there. I'm not a huge fan of mush (hence my initial aversion to oatmeal) but it's all right. It'll definitely take some getting used to. That's the reason I brought along the blackberries and peaches; in hopes that it'll divert my attention from the grain-y mush.

Anyhoo, I'll report back with how the weight loss goes. I honestly don't think it'll end well. Right now I'm just lifting weights in hopes of turning some of the flab into muscle but we'll see. I don't really know how much muscle you can gain in like...five days.

No comments: