April 12, 2009

GOODBYE GLUCOSE/FRUCTOSE; HELLO CUPCAKES

I haven't been eating a lot of oatmeal lately. I ran out of my Liberte Mediterranee moka yogurt and haven't had the chance to pick anymore up, so the most awesome breakfast oatmeal has been put on the back-burner. I also have a container of Liberte coconut yogurt to go through and I was seriously disappointed with the taste of that yogurt during my first tasting, that I'm not really looking forward to my next tasting. Right now it's sitting in the fridge at work and suspect will be there until I decide that I can no longer take it and throw it out.

Anyhoo, a couple of weeks back I had a hankering for a can of Pepsi. I was at work and a few of us had ordered some pizza (from a place I will never order from again) and well, nothing goes better with pizza than a fizzy drink, right? WRONG! The one can of Pepsi, which I don't remember finishing, gave me a migraine for more than 36 hours after drinking. I conclude that it was the pop that gave me a migraine and nothing else because nothing else I ate that day veered from the norm. Well...maybe the pizza did but it didn't contain any ingredients I've previous never eaten nor was it from a restaurant I had never eaten at before.

As a result I am now avoiding all fructose and glucose, in any and all forms. It hasn't been too difficult seeing as how I rarely drink pop anyway but who knew I couldn't eat specific types of yogurt, Girl Guide cookies or anything from a box of assorted chocolates. It's been rough when my sweet tooth starts yelling at me for some kind of sugary treat because it requires me to scrounge around the house or workplace for anything made with real sugar or sugar substitutes (ie: maple syrup, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, etc). There aren't a whole lot of options at work (unless I really want some $7 granola bars) and just a few at home (Clif Bars being the most abundant at home). To remedy the situation I made some chocolate cupcakes earlier tonight, mainly because if I'm going to eat a sweet treat, I'd rather make it myself so I know what's in them. Right now they're unfrosted. Tomorrow I'm getting up early to frost them before I had off to work. I'm thinking half will be strawberry buttercream and the other half will be rosewater buttercream. Here are they naked:
And later I'll post pictures of them fully dressed in all their glory. Oh, before I go I should talk about the recipe a bit. First off, I have no clue where the recipe came from. I read so many various food blogs now that the only way I remember the source to a recipe is if I bookmarked the website and unfortunately I didn't do that with this recipe. I'm sure that if you just typed all the ingredients into Google, you'd come up with the source or at least a close cousin. Anyway, I wanted to discuss the recipe because I absolutely love it. Knowing that I hate chocolate I'm always a little bit leery of making chocolate cupcakes because I'm afraid I'll have so many leftover because a) no one else in my family will eat them because they don't like chocolate and b) I don't like chocolate so I don't want to be forced to eat them either. These cupcakes, though, they're like fluffy and moist pieces of chocolate heaven. I don't even know what the heck that's supposed to mean but they're just damn good! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I ate two standard size cupcakes and two mini cupcakes and I waited for them to cool down just enough so that I could peel away the cupcake liner. I need more self-control, ugh.

No comments: