April 14, 2010

DINNER THAT ROCKED MY WORLD!

I know I'm so behind in posting. I can't even tell you how far behind I am. I'm not even going to bother using this post to catch up because I have this totally awesome dinner to blog about first--tonight's dinner in fact! Check it out:Totes awesome, right? Well here's how you can make your own.

DOM'S DINNER THAT WILL ROCK YOUR FACE OFF! (And your socks too!) Ingredients:
- two organic chicken legs
- one medium sweet potato, cut into small chunks
- four small potatoes, cut into quarters
- head of one small broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- one portobello mushroom, sliced into four
- leftover quinoa (I used four cooked spoonfuls)
- copious amount of garlic salt
- copious amount of extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper

Directions
  1. Prep chicken by rinsing and then patting dry. Cut each leg in half, separating the drumstick from the thigh. Drizzle with oil and garlic salt. Place in a 9x13" baking dish lined with tin foil and sprinkle with more garlic salt. Yes, I'm sure. Now set the dish aside.
  2. Toss both potatoes with olive oil and garlic salt and place in baking dish, try and get everything in one layer. Set baking dish aside--again.
  3. Toss broccoli and mushrooms with olive oil and garlic salt. Set aside.*
  4. Place baking pan in 375F oven for 25 minutes. After time is up, add the broccoli and mushrooms and bake for another 20 minutes.
  5. Remove mushrooms and broccoli and then broil for five minutes to achieve that crispy chicken skin. Potatoes will also have crunch factor that is highly necessary.
  6. Remove from oven. Turn off oven.**
  7. Mix quinoa with mushrooms and broccoli. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. I added more garlic salt too, I'm not going to lie.
Serve up the chicken pieces on separate platters and divide the rest. I got greedy and took 3/4 mushroom pieces and only left one for Sean. Initially I had intended to roast more mushrooms but then kind of forgot about it. Then I started plating up Sean's meal for tonight and wouldn'tcha know it, he only gets one mushroom slice--oops! I really am a mushroom fiend.

I must admit that this dinner totally rocked my world. I haven't had a dinner this awesome in well...probably not that long ago in the grand scheme of things but after the week-long lunch and dinner chicken soup, I'm definitely glad I have enough for lunch tomorrow. This is definitely going to be the best thing about tomorrow--wahoo!

* If you're lazy like me you can go ahead and mix all your veggies together and just pick out the sweet and regular potatoes when you add them to the baking dish in the second step. This will save you some mixing time but nothing else.

** When Sean's parents went on vacation without him, his mom used to leave Post-It Notes all over the kitchen reminding him to do things. One of my favourite "to-dos" that she always left him was to turn off the stove or oven. I think I have one dating back at least five years that actually says "TURN OFF OVEN!!!" with three lines underneath each word. I thought it was hilarious that at 21, Sean needed a reminder not to burn the house down.

No comments: