March 15, 2009

ADVENTURES IN BREAKFAST COOKIES

While waiting for Sean to call me from work, I stumbled upon this food blog, Soap and Chocolate, and stayed up until 2am to read every single entry. I was surprised to find out how many things this blogger and I have in common and then came upon this recipe, which she found via The Fitnessista. I was inspired by a week of on-and-off migraines to try it out and this is what happened:

My breakfast cookie included the following:
1/4 cup of oats
1/3 cup of 2% milk (not lactose-free, oi)

1 tbsp shredded coconut
, unsweetened
2 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp pecans, chopped
1 tbsp cacao nibs
1 mega tbsp of almond butter, chunky!
1 ripe banana, mashed

squirt of agave nectar


In the morning it wasn't as thick and cookie-like as the Fitnessista's breakfast cookie but was delish. Crunch was supplied by pecans and cacao nibs and sweetened given by the banana and agave nectar. It was really good but too much to eat. I only managed to eat half of it before I got full but at least this is a recipe that makes oats edible to me.

Tomorrow's breakfast cookie is this:

I cut down the amount of oats but accidentally didn't decrease the amount of anything else so that's why my cookie looks extra wet. I had to add more oats to soak up the extra liquids, which defeated the purpose of decreasing the amount in the first place, oh well. In this "cookie" are the same ingredients as above plus some Vega Smoothie Powder. I'm kind of on the fence about it right now. It's loaded with goodness and it's green (I love me some green) but if I taste any bit of it tomorrow morning, we're not going to be friends. Unfortunately there are no strawberries in the fridge or freezer, otherwise I would have tested out the powder for its intended purpose.

So, overall, I don't hate oats as much as I thought I did. Although the photos make this look like cat vomit (as my dad would like to say in Creole), it tastes pretty darn good. And of course, anything with coconut is good with me.

No comments: