October 2, 2010

PUMPKIN OATMEAL!

Yep, I finally jumped onto the pumpkin oats bandwagon! I mean really, who wouldn't want to partake in a delicious meal of this:
I know I would want too, and now you can too! Here's my recipe for success:

DOM's FIRST PUMPKIN-Y OATMEAL:
- 1/4 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup of 2% organic milk (or any liquid)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 heaping tablespoons of canned pumpkin (next time I would probably increase this quantity to 3)- 1 ripe banana sliced and halvedToppings:
- sprinkling of roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of pure maple sugar
- drizzle of clover honey, about one teaspoon's worth
Directions:
  1. In a small saucepan, combine the oats and 1/2 cup of milk over high heat. Once the mixture starts to boil, turn the heat down to medium-high and add the chia seeds and 1/4 cup of milk. Stir well.
  2. Once the chia seeds have begun to congeal, add the pumpkin and stir well. The mixture will turn a lovely shade of orange. Turn off the heat and add the banana. Mix well.
  3. Now add your toppings, mix well and enjoy!
The toppings were the best part. I used 1/2 teaspoon of maple sugar and a couple drizzles of clover honey and overall. I'm normally used to instant oats (which contains sugar) and dark Lindt chocolate in my oatmeal so this concoction wasn't very sweet at all. Currently enjoying this at half past 5 so we'll see when I feel like digging into dinner. Even though it was only a 1/4 cup of rolled oats, I have a feeling this is going to keep me satiated for a while.
PS: Might I also add that I realize that September was the worst for blog posts. There was a LOT of stuff going on...trips to Montreal and a record amount of cupcake-making and baking in general. That means lots of good material for future posts. I'm hoping to bang out a post every other day. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: